Dr Simon Coffey, orthopaedic department head at Nepean Private Hospital, specialises in the management of lower limb musculoskeletal problems, specifically in primary and revision hip and knee replacement as well as sports and trauma.
Dr Coffey has over 20 years’ experience in specialist clinical practice, being involved in the training and supervision of many accredited and unaccredited registrars, as well as medical students. He has been an active contributor to many committees, regulatory boards and advocacy organisations and is a past Chairman of the Orthopaedic Dept at Nepean Hospital. Since 2014 he has served as an examiner on the orthopaedic court of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons.
Dr Coffey has collaborated with the medical technology industry and has been intimately involved in the development of a number of clinically successful implants including
• Paragon total hip arthroplasty (Corin Ltd). The Paragon total hip arthroplasty system is an Australian conceived, developed, validated and marketed by Australian surgeons and industry. The implant is currently the 8th most implanted hip stem in Australia.
• Apex Cementless Baseplate (Corin Ltd). Current development of cementless baseplate to complement the established APEX TKR system.
• ECIMA polyethylene insert for Apex Knee System (Corin Ltd)
• Trax Total Knee System (Amplitude).
Dr Coffey has been involved with specialist education and training through his involvement with the following educational initiatives.
• Delta Group. In the early 2000’s a group of Australian orthopaedic surgeons conducted a series of educational events in multiple cities through India, China and Australia. These events involved didactic teaching, case based discussion and live surgeries. Collaboration with international surgeons allowed the formation of the Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society.
• Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS). In addition to being a forum for international collegiate discussion, APAS holds annual academic scientific meetings, focusing on joint replacement. Dr Coffey is the current treasurer of APAS and sits on the executive committee and has previously sat on the scientific committee. He is a regular presenter at the APAS ASM.
• Zimmerbiomet. Consultant involved in product development, training and education of local and international orthopaedic surgeons
• Corin Ltd. Consultant involved in product development, training and education of local and international orthopaedic surgeons
Current research interests:
• Alignment and balance in total knee arthroplasty.
• Validation of implant position using radio-stereometric analysis (RSA)
• Unicondylar arthroplasty – development of a robot assisted platform.
Academic and professional affiliations
VMO Orthopaedic Surgeon, Nepean Hospital
VMO Orthopaedic Surgeon and Head of Dept, Nepean Private Hospital
VMO Orthopaedic Surgeon, Macquarie University Hospital
Fellow, Australian Orthopaedic Association
Examiner, Royal Australasian College Surgeons
Member Arthroplasty Society of Australia
Clinical Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine and Health, The University of Sydney
Clinical Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Health and Human Sciences, Macquarie University
National Chair, Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons (ASOS)
Treasurer, Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS)
International Affiliate Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.